I've already posted today but I'm going stir crazy quarantined at home. I hate being stuck on the couch, especially knowing that there are all kinds of fun things going on this weekend that I won't be attending. It's tough to sit here doing nothing while my body wages war. (That's the imagery I use with my students to discuss the immune system. Haha.)
On a more productive note, I've had lots of thinking time to figure out the layout of my apartment. It's going to take some will power but I want to buy things little by little so that I can budget for it, but also so that I buy things that I really like and that match with my theme. For my first time I am completely in charge of the decorating and outcome. What a responsibility! I have my vision and now I get to work towards my goal to get there. It's so exciting!
I went furniture shopping earlier this week. I love the pieces I picked out and cannot wait for them to arrive!!! It will be up to two more weeks before then so for now I'm practicing patience. My dad and youngest sister went with me, which is the only reason I did it in the first place. Otherwise, my plan was to make do with the random pieces I'd been given. It just doesn't seem practical to spend a bunch of money on new things if you already have something that will suffice. My family disagrees, which is lucky for me because I'm really looking forward to my new furniture! To my surprise it wasn't all that difficult to pick out what I wanted. I didn't have an idea of what I did want, but I knew what I didn't want. One by one I unselected everything in the store until I found the items that I liked best. Soon I will have a new sectional couch, a side table (not the corner ones that go by the couch but a decorative one that goes against the wall- I don't know what they're called), and a kitchen table. I have to admit, of all the pieces I am looking forward to my kitchen table the most.
Call me old fashioned but I have two household rules that I don't think I will ever change my outlook on. The first is that TVs don't belong in the bedroom. Let me just say, I'm not judging anyone. I've had a TV in my room for most of my life and so does just about everyone that I know. However, since I live by myself now I don't see the need for a TV in my room. Anyway, the second rule and the one that I stand firmly behind is that dinner should be eaten at the kitchen table. Again not judging, I don't always do this myself either. That said though, it should be no surprise that I am most excited to get a kitchen table. It is the centerpiece of the home; where family comes together and all of life's problems seem a little less overwhelming. I've decided that my dining room is going to be my starting focus. The warmth cultivated there will resonate through the rest of my apartment and everything will flow. It sounds silly, I know, but just wait until you see it and you'll understand. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We have our parents and grandparents to thank, for raising us with the appreciation of family time centered around the dinner table. Many people have family dinners with bonding, but it isn't the same unless the table is right in the middle of all of the commotion. We have spent countless hours around the one we grew up with and quite frankly, most of my memories consist of funny times at the dinner table. Great talking, and stress relieving convos take place there, and I feel blessed that we were raised to have that understanding. Not many people seem to realize the value of a kitchen table, but I am happy to know that future offspring will be blessed with the opportunity of a family meal at the table, nightly, whether be at home, with grandparents and extended relatives, or Auntie Les! :) I'm looking forward to meeting your new furniture when it arrives!
ReplyDelete