Saturday, February 20, 2010

Take the Time

This one should be short and sweet. With tomorrow starting off a new week I just want to encourage anyone reading this to slow down a little bit and take the time.

Take the time to notice the people that walk past you. Take the time to recognize when a friend is in need. Take the time to congratulate a job well done. Take the time to appreciate the people who have touched your life. Take the time to acknowledge the impact you could have on others. Life is fast, don't let it pass you by.

Two things happened this week that brought this to mind. The first was a student survey I had to administer. I browsed over some of the questions and was surprised to find about eight of them that read, "At this school there is at least one teacher... who really cares about me, who notices when I'm absent, who has told me that I did a good job, who believes I can succeed..." It was a huge wake up call that I need to be doing a better job expressing those things to my students. I do really care about them. Do they all know that? Do the people in your life know how much you care?

The second incident was with a student at the end of class. I asked if she was ok. She wanted to know why I asked and I said that she looked like she wasn't feeling well. She smiled, explained her symptoms, and then mentioned that I always know when something's wrong with her. I asked if it was a bad thing to which she replied, "No, it's just that no one else ever notices, but you always do." Please don't be fooled. I'm not a perfect person. For every kid I notice, I'm sure there are five that I pass right by. This situation was a quiet reminder to work towards improvement.

How encouraging to know that one simple comment to acknowledge someone can impact the outcome of their day! Let's promise to notice those around us. Let's not go through the motions of our days, getting so wrapped up in our agendas that we forget the lives around us. How simple it is to notice, yet how special it is to be noticed.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment